Sunday, August 30, 2009

A.Vera seeds starting to sprout.

Nearly 2 weeks ago I planted the Aloe vera hybrid seeds that were given to me by my mother-in-law. I can see sprouts now. If these free seeds work out well, I may try propagating more succulents. Maybe I'll have a wacky rock garden on the side of the house which has no irrigation. Also the Aloe vera clone I yanked out of the ground has done well. This is on the easy list of plants to clone/propagate and that's good right now. Next, rhododendrons and azaleas.

Successful clones
-----------------
mints - spearament, chocolate, etc. Super easy to take root divisions or cuttings or anything else. I started with this one and would suggest using these fast growing plants or coleus to practice with in the beginning.
lavendar - agustifolia, intermedia, & spanish ( could be stoechas or dentata )
coleus - multiple unknown species. this is a very easy plant!
Succulents & cacti listed in other posts.


used
----
rockwool with lemon to bring ph down to 6.0
Coir: a coconut husk & castings & potting soil
earth juice rooting hormone
small containers for soil mix
light and temp control -- indoors under florescent grow lights


Goal
-----
Accumulate species that do well in the area to multiply and thrive to ensure future gardening successes. this will also allow for an inexpensive recovery from failures. Provide a cheap rotation since mints and herbs take over containers, extraction and division can be used to keep a healthy rotation thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment